The Maserati A6 and its variants represents one of the last vehicles that the Maserati brothers had a hand in producing before ceding control of the prestigious company over to Adolfo Orsi. The Pininfarina-styled berlinettas were initially unsuccessful, not for the coachwork but rather for the feeble 65bhp engine. Orsi finally got it right the third time around, and with help from Zagato (among others) and Maserati’s own monoposto race cars, matched a 150bhp, twin-cam engine to a lightweight, stylish body. The design proved successful, and production reached its peak at this time. The example here is a 1956 Zagato-bodied A6G, number 2155. After being turned in for routine maintenance in 1957, Gianni Zagato himself crashed the vehicle and most of the body panels were destroyed. It was rebuilt to the specifications of the Trident’s newest production vehicle, the 3500, and stayed that way for years. Only recently did it return to its original form, and with the help of Orsi’s son, everything was done as historically accurate as possible. As all Maseratis at the time were built custom to the buyer’s specifications, number 2155 remains one of only two Zagato-bodied cars with their trademark double bubble roof.
See more images of the Maserati A6G/54 Zagato Coupe Special after the jump.
Source: Ultimate Car Page